How to Care for yourself After a Divorce
Doesn’t matter who you are, divorce can be physically, mentally, and emotionally taxing. Get as much help as you can from your friends, family, and of course your divorce attorney at Larsen Law Firm in Provo. The process is hard to go through and you will need to be prepared to take the time to care for yourself after the divorce is final. Below are some tips to help you in the process of caring for yourself after such a trying time.
- Seek out a safe and healthy person to talk to on a regular basis. This could be a therapist, a coach, a pastor or a well-trusted friend. This person doesn’t “add to” the pain but listens with wisdom and love.
- Eating healthy has priceless rewards for everyone. Enjoying a relaxed, healthy dinner at the table with your children, family, or friend several times a week will feed your body and your souls.
- Be aware if you find yourself feeling depressed. Make sure to talk to your counselor or doctor. Often one needs extra care for the first year or two post-divorce.
- Try a new activity like bowling, swimming, yoga, or biking. Push yourself outside your comfort zone and try something new until you find at least one fun activity that you truly enjoy!
- When you have kids, pick one or two activities to do with your children that will help you bond. Explore activities with your children that do not include electronics or television; find something active and life-giving to do with them, no matter what ages they are.
- Walk! Make a point to get outside 2-3 times a week for a brisk walk around the neighborhood or local park. Simply being in the sunshine helps with Vitamin D as well as getting your cardio system going.
- Get regular sleep and if you find yourself struggling in this area, talk to your doctor to be sure you have explored all the natural or additional resources needed to maintain a regular sleep cycle.
The key to caring for yourself is to not get stuck in the past. Now is the time to move steadily forward with your focus on your happiness. To help you in easing the divorce process make sure you take the time to visit with one of the divorce attorneys at Larsen Law Firm in Provo. Call our office today to schedule a consultation.