Interesting Divorce Statistics and Facts
Divorce has become a lot more common in families than it has been in the past. The more you know about divorce the more informed you can be to decide whether or not it is right for you and your specific situation. To help you in going through the divorce process you can trust the divorce attorneys at Larsen Law Firm in Provo. We have the expertise you need to help you in your unique situation. Below are some interesting statistics and facts about divorce.
- 50 percent of marriages in the United States end in divorce.
- 41 percent of first marriages end in divorce.
- 60 percent of second marriages end in divorce.
- 73 percent of third marriages end in divorce.
- The average length of a marriage that ends in divorce is eight years.
- The average age for couples going through their first divorce is 30 years old.
- People wait an average of three years after a divorce to remarry (if they remarry at all).
- Seventy-nine point six percent of custodial mothers receive a support award, while only 29.6 percent of custodial fathers receive a support award.
- Living together prior to getting married can increase the chance of getting divorced by as much as 40 percent.
- If your parents are happily married, your risk of divorce decreases by 14 percent.
- People who wait to marry until they are over the age of 25 are 24 percent less likely to get divorced.
- Half of all American children will witness the breakup of a parent’s marriage. Of these children, close to half will also see the breakup of a parent’s second marriage.
- The divorce rate among couples with children is 40 percent lower than couples without children.
- If you’ve attended college, your risk of divorce decreases by 13 percent.
- Overall, people living in northeastern states have lower marriage and divorce rates. While those in southern states are more likely to get married, they also have higher divorce rates.
While these facts and statistics may be interesting, we at Larsen Law Firm in Provo understand that your situation isn’t just another statistic. We can help you in your unique situation. Call us today to learn more about our law firm and what we can do for you.