How to Start the Divorce Process

 In Uncategorized

After much consideration and the advice from a divorce lawyer at Larsen Law Firm in Provo you have decided to go forward with the divorce process. Now you are faced with the question of how exactly to start the divorce process. Below are some of the steps involved with starting the divorce process.


Get a Divorce Lawyer you Trust

It’s important to have an experienced family law attorney review your documents, no matter how you proceed, whether that is having them just review legal documents or stay on with you throughout the whole process. The divorce lawyers at Larsen Law firm are experienced and work hard to achieve what you need out of the divorce process. After just one consultation you will know that we are a law firm that you can trust.


Preparing the Petition

The petition must contain the names and birthdates of your children, and the addresses of everyone in your immediate family. It should state what you want from the court, including spousal support, custody, visitation, child support, life and health insurance, and real and personal property. You will also need to state the grounds for your petition. This includes whether you are filing a “no-fault divorce,” which means there are “irreconcilable differences” or that the marriage is “irretrievably broken.” In some states you can still list grounds of adultery, abandonment, or cruel and inhuman treatment.


Serve a Summons

You cannot serve the divorce papers on your spouse. A process server, a sheriff, or a person who is at least 18 years old and not related to you should serve the papers. It is necessary to hire a process server because “service of process” has to be done correctly. This includes serving your spouse with the divorce papers in the proper manner, which is often referred to as “in-hand delivery.” Once the papers are served you can file the divorce forms with the proper clerk.


Wait for a Response

Now you are left to wait for a response from your spouse. They have 30 days to file a response. The response may be called an “answer” in some states and, in it, your spouse may deny the statements in your petition or admit to some of them. The response can also contain a “counterclaim” if your spouse wants to seek some of the same things you’re seeking from the court.


The divorce process can be complicated. Get the help you need from the divorce lawyers at Larsen Law firm in Provo. Call us today to schedule a consultation.

Recommended Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text.