Interesting Facts about Divorce
Divorce has been made all too common these days. If you find yourself on the path to getting a divorce you can always trust the divorce lawyers at Larsen Law in Provo to help you in all the legalities. We believe it is always better to be informed on all aspects of divorce before going through the process. So we have gathered some interesting facts about divorce that you may not be aware of.
- Only two U.S Presidents have known to have been divorced: Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump.
- In America, the divorce rate peaked at 50% in the 1980s. While the national divorce rate has declined, a first marriage is still between 40-50% likely to end in divorce.
- According to U.S. statistics, if one partner smokes, a marriage is 75% more likely to end in divorce
- Research shows that couples in Republican states are 27% more likely to divorce than couples in Democratic states. Couples in Republican states have historically married younger than their Democratic counterparts.
- The most commonly cited statistic states that one in every four families will face divorce. More than one million people have parents who separate or divorce each year in the U.S.
- According to U.S. statistics, if there is a daughter and no son in a marriage, the union is 5% more likely to end.
- Couples with children have a slightly lower divorce rate than couples without children.
- In America, the divorce rate for a first marriage is around 41%. The divorce rate for a second marriage is 60%. The divorce rate for a third marriage is 73%.
- The average length of divorce proceedings in the United States is 1 year.
- Women on average wait 3.1 years to remarry after a divorce. Men wait 3.3 years.
- Western states typically have the highest marriage and divorce rates, followed by the South. The Northeast has the lowest marriage and divorce rates.
While there are a lot of interesting facts out there about divorce, we at Larsen Law Firm in Provo know that your situation is unique. Our divorce lawyers work hard to make sure you are taken care of in all aspects. For more information about our law firm make sure you take time to browse our website.